WORLD PREMIERE OF LEXUS UX AT THE GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
Lexus’s much-anticipated new UX self-charging hybrid crossover will make its dynamic world premiere at the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed, giving British car fans the chance to see the forthcoming SUV up close for the first time.
First unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March, UX is a new gateway vehicle for Lexus, rich in the qualities that define the brand: brave design, superior craftsmanship, exhilarating performance and imaginative technology.
A pre-production version of the UX crossover in F Sport trim will be available on Lexus’s main stand at Goodwood, months ahead of the vehicle going on sale in the UK in 2019, and fans can see it making a global dynamic debut on the hill climb. The vehicle, overseen by Chief Engineer Chika Kako, promises to be a new genre of crossover, an ‘Urban Explorer’ that offers a fresh take on luxury lifestyles.
Miss Kako said: “Right from the start, I focused on the target customer – mid-30s, millennial, men and women – and tried to understand how they would expect a premium compact vehicle to change their lives and enable new experiences. That’s what led us to the basic vehicle concept for the UX of Creative Urban Explorer.”
Goodwood guests will have the chance to look at UX’s key features:
- Stylish and distinctive exterior design execution generates a unique vehicle identity, combining a secure and spacious feel yet with a condensed appearance
- Compact, driver-centric cockpit with a commanding view of the road
- Interior includes new trim finish inspired by the grain of Japanese paper, and traditional sashiko leather upholstery quilting
- First Lexus to be built on the new GA-C global architecture platform, delivering the lowest centre of gravity in its class and exceptional body rigidity, securing agile, hatchback-like driving experience
- New, fourth generation self-charging hybrid system in the UX 250h with higher efficiency and more powerful electric motor
UX forms the centrepiece of a huge display of Lexus cars, both static and taking part in Goodwood’s famous hill climb with some famous racing names.
Sharing the main stand with UX will be the stunning LC 500 V8 coupe, NX and RX F Sport SUVs, the new seven-seat Lexus RX L, the special edition RC F 10th Anniversary V8 Coupe (also making its UK debut), the RC 300h Black Edition and the luxurious LS 500h.
Fans can also watch American racing legend Scott Pruett charging the mighty RC F GT3 racing car up the hill, and British racers Abbie Eaton and Jack Hawksworth attacking the climb in the legendary Lexus LFA and RC F Cup Car respectively.
Lexus UK Director Ewan Shepherd said: “We’re really excited that British car fans will be amongst the first in the world to get up close to the Lexus UX. It will be a really important car for us in the UK, giving a whole new sector of car buyers the opportunity to experience legendary Lexus quality as well as the brave design and craftsmanship built into every one of our cars.”